In some cases, heating vegetables releases nutrients like the antioxidants in cell walls. However, that’s not the case for cruciferous vegetables. Cruciferous vegetables contain an enzyme named glucosinolate that’s known for its cancer-fighting property. By heating such vegetables, the enzyme breaks down and halts its effect. Not only that, but cruciferous vegetables carry a plethora of vitamins in them which can be lost if cooked. If you are looking for the top cancer-fighting vegetables better eaten raw, carry on reading.
1. Broccoli : Broccoli is rich in vitamin C and indole-3-carbinol, a substance that repairs DNA and inhibits cancerous cell growth. It also has large amounts of carotenoids that protects against lung and renal cancer.
2. Cabbage : Raw cabbage has been used as a medicine since ancient Rome and Greece. It’s full of vitamin C, K and cancer-fighting goods. It would make a great dish with a bit of lemon, garlic and olive oil.
3. Cauliflower : Like the rest of all cruciferous vegetables, cauliflower contains cancer-fighting properties. Additionally, it serves as a great source of vitamin C and fiber. It’s also low in carbs and would fit well in a salad.
4. Watercress : This popular crunchy vegetable bursts nutrients such as calcium, iron, manganese, iodine, folic acid and various vitamins. It’s a great diuretic and aids digestion.
6. Bok choy : Bok choy is Chinese cabbage. The vegetable is positioned second place among vegetables highest in nutritional value. Bok choy may be best served raw and chopped in a salad.