There are certain foods that can enhance cognitive function and boost brainpower, among which:
• Blueberries – Perhaps, they are one of the most beneficial brain foods. Due to containing antioxidants, they protect your brain from the damaging free radicals accumulated in the body. These harmful species are increasing in our bodies as a result of the industrial world we live in, but luckily this damage can be prevented by antioxidants. Blueberries improve learning abilities, enhance memory, help prevent neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and may even reduce age- related decline. A cup a day in any form is enough.
• Wild salmon – Omega 3 fatty acids in salmon are essential to act as anti- inflammatory and maintain brain cell health. Because our bodies cannot manufacture the required amounts of fatty acids, so we need an external source and salmon is a great one. Fatty acids in salmon fight age- related cognitive disorders and support brain, eye and heart health throughout life. Farmed salmon contains less levels of fatty acids than ocean fish.
• Avocados – The monounsaturated fats in avocados reduce blood pressure and promote blood flow, which is beneficial for the brain and all organs. Being high in calories, half an avocado a day is sufficient.
• Olive oil – It is a great source of antioxidants as well as omega 3 fatty acids, which protect the brain against oxidative stress, and it is linked to improved learning and memory.
• Broccoli – It is an excellent source of vitamin K, which improves memory abilities and increases the speed of brain functions. It is also rich in choline, known to decrease age- related mental decline and improve memory.
• Flax seeds – Being rich in fatty acids, flax seeds reduce age- related decline and enhance memory. 1 to 2 tablespoons a day will do it.